Sunday, December 5, 2010

don't throw it all out the window. . .

It seems that everyone is making shabby little creations out of old windows lately.

Carson works at a project manager at the VA, and at the VA here in town, there are many historic buildings. I asked him to bring me home an old window if he ever came across one, and within a week there was big one sitting on my back porch.My goal was to get crafty with it before classes started in August. Yet there it sat for several months. 4 to be exact. Nonetheless, after being an eye sore for oh so long, I finally figured out what I wanted to make of it, and it is finished!

Here's what I needed:

-an old window
-sandpaper
-benjamin moore: fairview taupe (leftover from painting our dining room)
-valspar weathered crackle glaze
-twine
-wall-hanging hardware
-hot glue gun
-staple gun
-mini-clothes pins
-antique buttons
-6 8x10's



So, basically I gave that old window good cleaning and a good sanding. Carson has experience with the weathered crackle glaze, so he offered to paint for me. You paint the window with the glaze, wait 1-2 hours, then paint with the top coat of your choice. The glaze causes the paint to "crackle," revealing the color underneath.







After the window was dry, Carson installed wall hanging hardware on the backside. I then took some silver twine, wrapped it around the back of the window, and secured it with a staple gun on both side, for both rows of panes.

On this twine I attached the 6 photos with the mini-clothes pins, which were spray painted white, and then I hot-glued "antique" buttons on them (purchased at Michael's).

There ya go.









***the photos in my photos were done by phillip crum. www.philliphcrum.com

2 comments:

  1. I love this window Morgan! I think I might do a post on "three recreated uses for old windows" and I'm gonna feature your project!

    ReplyDelete