Tuesday, December 28, 2010

In Stitches




Shortly before my semester was over I somewhat impulsively purchased a sewing machine. I've always had this subtle longing to channel my inner Martha Stewart, but lately it has become an obsession. $150 later, a brand new Brother arrived at my door while I was studying for finals. I took a short break, removed the machine and all its many parts from the gigantic box, my dining room table quickly becoming covered with about a dozen objects that I had never really seen before. I had never once in my life touched a needle and thread, let alone a sewing machine!

Over the past two weeks, my machine and I have gotten ourselves somewhat acquainted, worked on a few basic projects, and even found ourselves in a couple fights. I'm quickly learning the perfection is a bit far-fetched, and thankfully-due to my expectations having since been humbled-I have yet to shed any tears, and have duly invested in a seam ripper.

For Christmas Carson bought me, among other things, Amy Butler's Style Stitches and a fat quarter of an assortment of her fabulously delicious new fabric. I couldn't wait to pick out a pattern and get going!



Deciding to start small (or what thought was going to be small project) I chose the adorable Key Keeper/Coin Purse.


My starting point:


What to do with all of these pieces?


And....Voilà!


Unfortunately, for me, it wasn't as easy as it looks. I'm hopeful that as I become more experienced, that which now takes me several hours, will only take me 1 to 2! (I certainly hope so, because on ETSY they run a mere $18!) Nonetheless, I'm excited about the end result and can't wait to show it off!

Now, on to the next pattern?





2 comments: